The combined 37th and 38th issue of Shogakukan’s Weekly Shonen Sunday magazine will be revealing on August 9 that Kotoyama’s Dagashi Kashi manga series will receive a second TV anime adaptation that will premiere on TBS in 2018.
The magazine also reveals that Ayana Taketatsu (Kirino Kousaka from Oreimo) will reprise her role as Hotaru Shidare.
The main staff for the second season was revealed and currently consists of:
- Director: Satoshi Kuwahara (Yu☆Gi☆Oh! Zexal)
- Series Composition: Mayumi Morita (Vampire Knight script)
- Character Design: Nana Miura (Young Black Jack)
- Studio: Tezuka Productions (Sakamichi no Apollon)
Here’s the anime’s main staff for the first season:
- Director and Series Composer: Shigehito Takayanagi (The World God Only Knows, Tokyo ESP)
- Series Composer: Yasuko Kamo (Kanamemo, Tokyo ESP)
- Anime Character Designer: Kanetoshi Kamimoto (Burst Angel, Yosuga no Sora)
- Sound Director: Satoshi Motoyama (Haganai, Isshuukan Friends.)
- Animation Studio: feel. (Oregairu Zoku, Minami-ke Tadaima)
Dagashi Kashi is a manga series by Kotoyama. It has been serialized in Shogakukan’s shounen manga magazine Weekly Shounen Sunday since June 2014 and has been collected in seven tankobon volumes. A light novel adaptation titled Dagashi Kashi: Mō Hitotsu no Natsu Yasumi, written and illustrated by Manta Aisora, was published in a single volume by Shogakukan on December 18, 2015 under their Gagaga Bunko imprint. An anime television series adaptation by Feel aired in Japan between January 7, 2016 and March 31, 2016. “Dagashi Kashi” means “cheap sweets candy”, but if read “Daga Shikashi”, it also means “however”. A second season has been announced to air in 2018.
Dagashi Kashi synopsis:
Out in the countryside stands a sweet shop run by the Shikada family for nine generations: Shikada Dagashi, a small business selling traditional Japanese candy. However, despite his father’s pleas, Kokonotsu Shikada, an aspiring manga artist, adamantly refuses to inherit the family business.
However, this may start to change with the arrival of the eccentric Hotaru Shidare. Hotaru is in search of Kokonotsu’s father, with the goal of bringing him back to work for her family’s company, Shidare Corporation, a world famous sweets manufacturer. Although the senior Shikada initially refuses, he states that he will change his mind on one condition: if Hotaru can convince Kokonotsu to take over the family shop. And so begins Hotaru’s mission to enlighten the boy on the true joy of delicious and nostalgic dagashi!