What Are Your Favorite Anime Fetishes?
In addition to watching anime so I can report on the best shows to you here, and working hard on great English visual novel releases like Eiyu*Senki and our new Monster Girl harem game, I also keep an eye on whatever the current fetish the anime world is into, so our staff can stock the appropriate products on the site, if appropriate. J-List has been around since forever, and I’ve seen a lot of anime fetishes and related booms come and go, including…
- The early cult of Japanese porn stars, when everyone was taken with the grace of Fubuki Akira and Ozawa Madoka.
- The golden age of Anna Miller waitress uniforms. You won’t believe me, but we sold many doujinshi about these!
- I remember one year suddenly everyone wanted nothing but naughty tentacles. Then the great Heisai Futa Bubble happened, causing everyone to want nothing but futa products.
- While white panties were all the rage in the 90s, fandom suddenly decided that shimapan was the coolest thing in the world after a 2003 series called Stellvia of the Universe popularized them. Then everyone moved on to the zettai ryouiki “absolute zone.”
- Currently, traps and otokonoko characters are all the rage, because it doesn’t matter if you’re a girl or a boy, as long as you’re memes are dank, right?
However, anime fetishes are always moving and changing. What will be the next boom? Will it be super clean underarms? See-through white dresses? Tanlines? Whatever the hell this is? Or maybe the natural progression from 3D to 2D characters will continue, resulting in everyone falling in love with 1D characters who lack any depth at all. What do you think?
We hope 2018 is going well for you so far! Tomorrow I’m off with Mrs. J-List to Guam for some well-earned rest and relaxation after the busy Christmas season. Guam is a small island paradise that’s a three hour flight from Japan that’s visited by millions of Japanese, Chinese and Korean tourists each year. It’s also a place that’s been threatened with a nuclear attack by Kim Jong Un at various times last year. We’re going to Guam to relax and have fun, but also to show that we’re not afraid of unpleasant North Korean dictators. Have a great weekend, and we’ll see you when we get back!
It’s that time of year, when J-List overflows with wonderful doujinshi from Japan! We’ve got tons of great new books in stock from Japan’s top artist circles, so browse our selection now.